The St. Louis Carousel was built in 1921 by the Dentzel Company of Philadelphia, PA. In the spring of 1929, Forest Park Highlands, on Oakland Avenue announced the installation of it’s new attraction, the $30,000 St. Louis Carousel. Visited annually by school children on their school field trips, the Carousel features 60 hand-painted horses, four reindeer with authentic deer antlers, and 2 carriages.
When the amusement park was destroyed by fire in 1963, the St. Louis Carousel escaped major damage. In order to keep the carousel in the St. Louis area, it was purchased by a St. Louisan, Howard C. Ohlendorf. In 1965, Mr. Ohlendorf donated the carousel to the St. Louis County Department of Parks and Recreation. In 1986, the carousel made it’s debut at it’s current location, Faust Park in Chesterfield, MO.